I'm working on this dive-share in my spare time

Salvo Tomaselli tiposchi at tiscali.it
Wed Aug 20 10:00:09 PDT 2014

In data mercoledì 20 agosto 2014 07:49:12, Dirk Hohndel ha scritto:
> SOrry for the delay - your email was sitting in our long spam queue and I
> only go through that manually every few days...
Well less than 1 day doesn't seem too terrible to me :-)

> But one question I have... Gehad has done a really strong job with the
> HTML export... wouldn't it make more sense to use his HTML export code and
> find ways to integrate that into your website? The user experience of his
> code is already very nice, I think.
I didn't know about that, because I was still using the older version that is
in debian (they haven't upgraded because libgit2 is in experimental).

Now I've compiled the new version and had a look.

I am hesitant to use that HTML for various reasons:
- it displays less informations than what I've already implemented
- I need one separate HTML per dive (but that could be fixed)
- can't control or change the look of the website
- it would mean to give up the possibility to ever import data from other
sources (unless I reimplement the same HTML generation for the other formats).

So I don't think it would be such a great idea, even thou it would make my
codebase and my life simpler.

> If you then add the ability for people to select if their dives are public
> or only visible with a private URL (minimum pretend-security) then this
> could trivially become the backend of ONE way to show your divelog to a
> diveoperator from a tablet or phone...
>
> I don't know if this is a direction that you'd like to take this, but this
> is a frequently requested feature.
This seems like a good idea. I'll think for a decent way to do this and I'll
get back at you.

Best

--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

http://ltworf.github.io/ltworf/