first glimpse at some statistics

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Aug 21 05:06:38 PDT 2014

It's pretty obvious that we (the developers) tilt the data a bit with 10%
of the records being from development versions, plus I'm sure many
(including myself) tested this with the 4.2 release build. I'm sure this
pushes Linux higher in the numbers than it may be in our real user base,
but I think these data are still quite interesting.

The download statistics are using the webserver logfiles and only count
downloads that completed (comparing the number of bytes transferred) and
are trying to ignore obvious bot downloads.

The "Unique records" are created from people who either submitted a survey
or checked for update availability. There's an effort to remove duplicates
based on the IP address, OS and existing major version (i.e. 4.2 -
regardless of "-xxx-gabcde" suffix so that developers aren't counted each
time they test something) which might lead us to undercount people hidden
behind proxies - it's an imperfect way without creating a unique
fingerprint per machine and that I didn't want to do for privacy reasons.

It's interesting to me that we have a 1:3 ratio of Mac to Windows in
downloads, but a 1:5 ration with Unique records. Are Mac users less likely
to check for updates?

We have one user who speaks 'C' as their main language. That was unexpected.
The other languages are pretty much what we assumed - maybe surprising that
we have only one each of Portuguese and Russian. But it's predominantely
English, German, French, Swedish (OK, maybe that's a surprise... but then
we have quite a few Swedish speakers among the developers), and Italian.

Interesting factoid that more people are "interested in dive planning"
than self identified "tech divers".

I have the survey suggestions as well, so far nothing much surprising.
I just wish I had asked for email addresses so we could respond as a
couple of people are asking for things that are already there...

Anyway, enjoy ;)

/D

Download statistics:
Downloads: 700
Mac 176 (25%)
Windows 524 (74%)

Unique records: 139

Subsurface versions:
Subsurface 4.2: 127
Subsurface 4.2-104-gdd1dc11cb60e: 1
Subsurface 4.2-105-g631ec6011564: 1
Subsurface 4.2-25-g901516019950: 1
Subsurface 4.2-30-ge8d430341c11: 4
Subsurface 4.2-39-g702e8331c41b: 1
Subsurface 4.2-49-g8856ccea10f9: 2
Subsurface 4.2-55-gc935ffcca386: 1
Subsurface 4.2.49: 1

OS breakdown:
Linux: 34 (24%)
        Linux (Arch Linux): 1
        Linux (Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid): 2
        Linux (Fedora 20 (Heisenbug)): 2
        Linux (Gentoo/Linux): 1
        Linux (Red Hat Enterprise Linux): 1
        Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS): 5
        Linux (Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS): 16
        Linux (Ubuntu precise (12.04.4 LTS)): 1
        Linux (Ubuntu precise (12.04.5 LTS)): 3
        Linux (openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (i586)): 1
        Linux (openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)): 1
MACOSX: 17 (12%)
        Mac OS X Lion (10.7): 1
        OS X Mavericks (10.9): 13
        OS X Mountain Lion (10.8): 2
        OS X Yosemite (10.10): 1
Windows: 87 (62%)
        Windows 7: 67
        Windows 8: 2
        Windows 8.1: 17
        Windows XP: 1

Languages:
en: 51, de: 40, fr: 12, sv: 10, it: 9, es: 4, nl: 3, pl: 3, ru: 2, C: 1, de-CH: 1, fi: 1, pt: 1, tr: 1

Survey:
Total Surveys: 37
download from dive computer: 30
download/import from other sources: 10