first glimpse at some statistics

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Aug 21 12:40:33 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 09:02:06PM +0200, Robert C. Helling wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2014, at 14:06, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > tech diver: 20
>
> this I find the most interesting number. Of course small absolute number
> and caveats but over 50% I would not call an infinitesimally small
> fraction of our user base.

I was very impressed with that number, too.

I think a few factors play into that:

- tech divers are more likely to log their dives
- tech divers are more likely to be tech savy
- tech divers are more likely to have the desire to let us know what they
  think (i.e., send back the survey - it's the type of personality of
  people who do technical diving)
- Shearwater and heinrichweikamp are strong in the tech diving markets and
  both very well supported in Subsurface. Both actually mention Subsurface
  on their web sites

Yes, the sample size is still a little too small, but I think that my
assumption that the vast majority of our users are recreational divers may
need some adjustment :-)

The VAST majority of divers are recreational divers. And it seems that the
vast majority of them either don't log their dives, don't download their
dives, or use vendor software. From my conversations with people on my
last few dive trips it seems that most people don't log at all - and in
the countries where there is heavy pressure to log dives (Germany, Brazil)
they generally log on paper with stamps and signatures and stuff.