Towards 4.3: TAG management

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:21:32 PDT 2014

> I like the idea of putting another tab where the globe is. And once you
> select a dive of the ones that were found, it switches back to the globe.

I think that a web based design pattern would be ok. Desktop and web
apps are mixing together.

Have you ever see an application or web page having the search or
filter on the lower left/right part?
The only exception is Firefox but for "find in page" feature. And
anyway is lower left not lower right because we read from left to
right (ok not all languages).

Hence searching the net for UX layout, search boxes, faceted search,
there is an unanimous consensus on top right/left. Maybe center if
"searching" is your main feature (aka google).

This reply is a great compendium on this topic:

http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/34491/should-the-search-box-be-on-the-left-or-the-right-side?answertab=votes#tab-top

There are many possibilities, but only a couple of right ones. The
most convenient spot for users would be the top left or top right of
every page on your website, where users could easily find it using the
common F-shaped scanning pattern. However, some blogs tend to place
the search box in the bottom of the (left or right) sidebar. That's
probably not a good idea but is likely done because of advertising
considerations.

And our case:

However taking an example of sites which have site on their right, a
common theme is that though these sites do need to use search its not
a critical part or a main driving point for their site and hence its
not prominently placed but placed in a location where users would
expect.

Microsoft (again) have a good guideline on search boxes on desktop apps:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/it-it/library/windows/desktop/dn742437.aspx

Location

For application windows, locate Search in the upper-right corner.
For popup windows, locate Search wherever is most sensible and convenient.
Exception: If Search is usually the first thing users do in a window
(the primary entry point), center it at the top of the window.

> What we should think about is what should be accessible at all times and
> what we can hide in dialogs like the dive computer download.
> Tabs are a great way of using screen real-estate for things that are not
> used at the same time but should be more accessible than a separate dialog
> window.

Did you see Lightroom's sliding panels?
We could have a similar panel on the left for tag based filtering:
Panel appear/slide in only when the mouse goes on its little handle...

A question: how many tags do people use?
After few months I added just three tags to the default ones.

Bye

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos