Towards 4.3: TAG management

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 02:18:10 PDT 2014

> Well, I have tougth about doing a "advanced search" papel that would
filter
> for buddy, divemaster, geo coordinates and such. But cor me we really
need a
> better ui for that, a line with the search box is not enough.

Hummm I agree with you that it could be a limiting factor in a near future.
BTW play a moment with this JS search box:

http://harvesthq.github.io/chosen/#multiple-select

The common Country selection (251 choices!) transformed in a multiselection
with a Tag like appearance. Everything in one simple control. It performs
also suggestion while typing.
It would be perfect for our Tag based search but with one addendum like
these:

[image: Depositphotos]

[image: Barnes and Noble search box design example]

In the above examples the integrated dropdown "All Files" or "All Products"
let you limit the search within one category.
We could use it in a slightly but important different way: the dropdown let
you choose between Tag search and "single field search" as in the following
example:

[image: Immagine in linea 1]

I see two problems here:

#1 You cannot easily mix Tags with Fields in your search. E.g. Find only
dives tagged "Photo" at "Barracuda Point"... For this kind of search we
should use the search box like in the above web based examples hence the
dropdown should have Tags...

#2 Some fields have numerical values or, even worst, cylinders could have
very difficult name to remember (D8.5 232bar). Suggestions while typing
could be handy...

So I'm throwing this away :(

> Depends on how you count this, is it only the tags that the user adds or
> should other objects be included like buddy, suit, tank, rating  and so
on.
> Basically anything you would like to be able to filter the dive list on.

I was thinking to keep proper tags (reef, boat, training, wreck,
userdef1...) and fields (Location, buddy, suit...) separate searchs and
eventually give the user the chance to mix them as the above example.

I was looking again at Adobe Lightroom UI... It has a very powerful search
engine which works with photos inner metadata (exif) and/or metadata
taxonomies chosen by the user.
For basic exif metadata searches it uses an optional horizontal panel which
slides in from above. You can have also your keywords/tags there:

[image: Keywords in Lightroom 5]

But you can have the keyword/tag list on a side panel:

So, in the end...
I would prefer having a left panel which opens via menu or when I type
Ctrl+F or whatever OS system key combination. The panel stay there opended
or can be collapsed on the left mantaining filters applied like the
Lightroom panel (When it's collapsed it occupies few pixels just to show
small triangle/handle to open it again)

Then we can choose from several designs. On web design it's called Faceted
search (Amazon/Ebay being the most famous use case):

http://www.smileycat.com/design_elements/faceted_navigation/index.php?page=1

Choising the right controls to use depends on how many Tags and how many
items contains each field. We haven't a lot of different fields to search
in.

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos