I'm working on this dive-share in my spare time

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Aug 22 06:47:09 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 01:26:40PM +0300, "Paul-Erik Törrönen" wrote:
> > and details about the computer used.
> > However once that is fixed I think it would be a very good idea to use
> > that.
>
> Dirk recently added a specific tag for bugs/feature requests in Trac for
> Subsurface, you can find it here:
>
> http://trac.hohndel.org/
>
> I have added #711, http://trac.hohndel.org/ticket/711

Thanks for doing that, Poltsi.
If people have feature requests, by all means, discuss them here but also
add an appropriate trac ticket so things don't get forgotten

> > I don't get why can't the XML contain additional data…
>
> This is only my guess, but it may be, because when you have more dives,
> the file gets very big, and if you add to it data which are actually
> derived from real numbers, and furthermore may be dependant of some
> configuration values (I'm thinking of GF here), then the size will just
> explode.
>
> As it is already now, I have ~490 dives in the log, and it takes a
> substantial time to both load it as well as save.
>
> IIRC there was some discussion about the size of the log-file on the
> maillist ~beginning of this year.

Have you played with storing your data with the git backend? I don't have
quite as many dives (only about 330) but I don't perceive loading the
dives from git as taking all that long.

Pick a directory and then use /path/to/directory[poltsi] as the "magic"
name for your divelog and Subsurface will store a git repository in that
directory.

We definitely need more people using this so we can be sure that the bugs
get worked out before it becomes a major feature in the next version.