relicensing some of Subsurface under LGPL

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Aug 22 07:32:30 PDT 2014

Lubomir, Willem (and everyone else),

I'm trying to make the UEMIS downloader available to other divelogs - and
in order to do so I'll need to be able to build a library that they can
link against. And for that I'd like to switch some small parts of the code
to LGPL.

Almost all of the code in question was written by Linus and myself and we
are both fine with this.

There are two other piece I have identified:
The subsurface_open / subsurface_opendir / utf8_to_utf16 code from
Lubomir.
(at first I thought there was more code but git blame was misleading me
and the person identified as author had just moved the code around (e.g.
Willem in the case of add_gas_change_event())
The other are some of the helpers / structures in dive.h
IIRC in general GPL is not considered to stick to APIs or data structure
definitions (e.g. Willem's changes to the struct dive) but I figured I'd
ask about that, too.

But in case I run into other snippets that I need (or in case I missed
something) - how do people feel about relicensing small parts of
Subsurface under LGPL v2.1?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has contributed code - and I'd like to
hear explicitly "yes, ok" / "no, I don't agree" from Lubomir and Willem.

Thanks