Planner: Multiple Deco calculations ?

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Aug 28 07:01:20 PDT 2014

On 28/08/2014 15:51, Guillaume Gardet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started to play with subsurface some days ago. It seems that
> the ceiling / deco calculation is done by a Bühlmann ZHL-16b model. I
> think it would be nice to have an interface to switch between various
> deco model.
> Ok, currently, there is only one model, but I think people would be
> interested to be able to switch with other models. One usage would be
> to have a deco planner matching (more or less) the dive computer used.
>
> What do you think about that ?
>

> Guillaume

The Buhlmann approach is well defined and all the details of his models
are explained in his papers and books. However, the more modern dual
state models (="bubble models") are mostly proprietary and all the
details have not been exposed. For insance the variable permiability
model is totally proprietary and people actually make money from it
(e.g. VPlanner). Therefore they do not wish to expose the details of
these models. The RGBM is the best described and understood but even all
its details have not been published.
Kind regards,
willem