Planner: Multiple Deco calculations ?

JB2Cool jb2cool at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 08:07:03 PDT 2014

The website for the VPM algorithm is here http://www.decompression.org.
There are a few resources there along with some open source implementations
that could be looked at as a basis of the code.

My belief is that if you wanted to compare a variety of different
algorithms and all of their different variants then use a dedicated
dive-planner software package (I myself use MultiDeco and Pastodeco). If
you want a diving logbook with a built-in, tried and tested dive planner
using pretty much the widest used algorithm then use Subsurface. When i
first started planning dives there was lots of talk about VPM and it seemed
very popular but since then i've noticed a steady shift to Bühlmann +
Gradient Factors.

The Bühlmann model (Or one very like it) is used in the vast majority of
dive computers on the market. Even the Suunto RGBM algorithm which suggests
is a bubble model still works more like a traditional Haldanean model.
There are very few computers that use the VPM algorithm to work out 'live'
deco.

Regards
Jason