bugs on connect to Dive Rite Nitek Q

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Thu Aug 28 13:31:08 PDT 2014

On 2014-08-25 11:03, Jef Driesen wrote:
> On 2014-08-25 07:10, Sincere CHEN wrote:
>> I have a computer Dive Rite Nitek Q. and I want to use surface to
>> download
>> its dive log.
>>
>> I run surface, and I use USB cable connect my Nitek Q to computer.
>>
>> And then I select Nitek Q to “PC” model, at that time, the Nitek Q
>> display
>> “USB communicating”
>>
>> And I open surface, choose “import from dive computer”, and choose
>> “Dive
>> Rite”, “Nitek Q”, “COM 28”.
>>
>> When I click “OK”, it seems successful, since surface display my Nitek
>> serial number.
>>
>> However, after some second, surface breakdown. My system display the
>> following information:
>>
>>  [...]
>>
>> My system is:
>>
>> Windows 7 64bit
>>
>> Does any guys meet this problem? How do you fix it?
>
> First we need to find out whether this crash is in subsurface or
> libdivecomputer.

I received a memory dump from Chen, and the crash is caused by a buffer
overflow in libdivecomputer. The buffer overflow is already fixed, but
the problem that triggered it is still present. There is a dive where
both the start and end address of the profile data are identical. So
that's basically a zero-length dive, which is really weird. Still under
investigation.

Jef