4.2 in Debian, OpenSUSE, Mageia, Gentoo

Salvo Tomaselli tiposchi at tiscali.it
Thu Aug 28 14:30:54 PDT 2014

In data giovedì 28 agosto 2014 13:25:00, Linus Torvalds ha scritto:
> On Aug 28, 2014 1:13 PM, "Tim Wootton" <tim at tee-jay.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 28/08/14 20:29, Robert C. H.
> >
> >> I have some vague memory that this is because the libgit2 version that
>
> we require is in experimental.
>
> > Indeed, and it looks like it's likely to stay there.

> .. And this is just one reason why distributions should not do the whole
> insane "dynamic linking only" strategy.

They do it because from a security point of view, it's easier to recompile a
library than to recompile all the packages that depend on it (that is, if it's
not a header only library).
And they really want to

For example the embedded jquery had to be replaced with a soft link and a
dependency on the jquery package, but I left the other stuff in because they
don't exist in debian yet.

In any case, there doesn't seem to be a precise policy on static linking
So I guess it would be possible to link statically against libgit2 and then
see if the FTP masters get angry or not.

> Could someone involved with Debian please try to take this issue up? I'm
> fed up with how the kernel makes binary compatibility such a priority, only
> to have distributions throw all that sanity and effort away.

I can post about the issue on debian-devel but please note that my status in
debian is maintainer, not developer, which means that I can't do arbitrary
uploads but need a developer to do them for me, unless they add an exception
for me, for a given package.

Best

--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

http://ltworf.github.io/ltworf/