4.2 in Debian, OpenSUSE, Mageia, Gentoo

Tim Wootton tim at tee-jay.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 14:49:36 PDT 2014

On 28/08/14 22:30, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> In data giovedì 28 agosto 2014 13:25:00, Linus Torvalds ha scritto:
>> On Aug 28, 2014 1:13 PM, "Tim Wootton" <tim at tee-jay.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 28/08/14 20:29, Robert C. H.

>> we require is in experimental.
>>
>>> Indeed, and it looks like it's likely to stay there.
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=745960
>>
>> .. And this is just one reason why distributions should not do the whole
>> insane "dynamic linking only" strategy.
>
> They do it because from a security point of view, it's easier to recompile a
> library than to recompile all the packages that depend on it (that is, if it's
> not a header only library).
> And they really want to
>
> For example the embedded jquery had to be replaced with a soft link and a
> dependency on the jquery package, but I left the other stuff in because they
> don't exist in debian yet.
>
> In any case, there doesn't seem to be a precise policy on static linking
Actually there does seem to be in the latest Debian Policy Manual (see
my other mail)

> So I guess it would be possible to link statically against libgit2 and then
> see if the FTP masters get angry or not.

This from that thread seems to imply that what we want to do would be ok:
" > Currently it is not and nobody complains about.

  Statically linked binaries, not binaries linked with one static
  library .You're getting upset for no reason."
"