translations -- or how the times are changing

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Mon Dec 1 15:18:53 PST 2014

On 11/14/2014 12:06 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> I just got German to 99% and I also always use English. But we have enough
> German divers on this list that I hope this gets some testing and that
> someone will finish the phrases that I couldn't figure out how to put in
> German (and fixes some of the horrible translations that I added).

What I quickly found:

* Inconsistent usage of formal "Sie" (7 occurences) vs. "Du" (3 occurences)
   in talking to the user.
   Personally, I like automata to address their human masters formally,
   but we might better prepare for the upcoming rule of silicon overlords
   by having them address us as "Du".
   The third way, which also allows for shorter strings, is to leave
   away personal addressing, which is also used in some translations already.

* Apart from switching between "Du" and "Sie" between different strings,
   some translations are inconsistent in itself:
   "Möchtest Sie Ihre Änderungen in der Datendatei speichern?" should become
   either
   "Möchten Sie Ihre Änderungen in der Datei speichern?" (talking to human master)
   or
   "Möchtest Du Deine Änderungen in der Datei spichern?" (talking to puny carbon lifeform)
   or
   "Änderungen in der Datei speichern?" (leaving away the personal address)

* kg/ℓ - cool, it's a long time ago I actually saw the symbol "ℓ" being used
   for "Litre" - it's perfectly correct, but some younger people might not easily
   recognize it. Most people today are more used to the normal "l" as an abbreviation
   for Litre, and some do not even learn the cursive that ℓ is a glyph of.

* "Tauchgänge, die als privat markiert sind, werden nicht unter 'ähnliche
   Tauchgänge' angezeigt und können nur angezeigt werden, wenn ihr URL bekannt ist" -
   "Tauchgänge" being plural asks for "... wenn ihre URL bekannt ist."

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg