translations -- or how the times are changing

Martin Gysel me at bearsh.org
Tue Dec 2 00:54:58 PST 2014

Am 02.12.2014 00:18, schrieb Lutz Vieweg:
> On 11/14/2014 12:06 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> I just got German to 99% and I also always use English. But we have
>> enough
>> German divers on this list that I hope this gets some testing and that
>> someone will finish the phrases that I couldn't figure out how to put in
>> German (and fixes some of the horrible translations that I added).
>
> What I quickly found:
>
> * Inconsistent usage of formal "Sie" (7 occurences) vs. "Du" (3 occurences)
>   in talking to the user.
>   Personally, I like automata to address their human masters formally,
>   but we might better prepare for the upcoming rule of silicon overlords
>   by having them address us as "Du".
>   The third way, which also allows for shorter strings, is to leave
>   away personal addressing, which is also used in some translations
> already.

I think most software I use, use either 'Sie' or omit the personal
addressing. But thinking about divers I prefer 'Du' over 'Sie' as 'Du'
is very common among divers even if they don't know each other.
In the end I don't really care which form we chose as long as we try to
always use the same...

/martin