Repetition groups in UDDF

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 10 15:21:32 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 11:15:54PM +0000, Long, Martin wrote:
> I think I'm starting to be the 'annoying neighbour' :-)

Not at all - we love adding new active contributors.

> So, the last patch adds proper trip support in the UDDF export, rather
> than hijacking the repetition group.
>
> With this done I'm wondering if there is a better way we can use the
> repetition group. I'm looking for a bit of input for this, as with
> only 31 dives myself (and 1 year diving), I'm not really 100% sure on
> the ins and outs of repetition groups.
>
> I would probably go with just 1 repetition group per day (or date),
> though I could see perhaps someone doing night dives, or 4 dives a day
> on a liveaboard might consider a repetition group spanning more than
> one day. At the same time, the way it currently works, a 1 week trip
> doing 2 dives a day, probably shouldn't be considered a repetition
> group.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Depending on the degree of slow tissue loading it can take quite a while
before you are completely desaturated. We currently assume inside
Subsurface that after 48h you are desaturated and no longer do the deco
calculation. So for consistency we should group any set of dives that
doesn't have a 48h gap in between.

So yes, in my mind, even if you do just one dive a day on consecutive
days, it's still a repetition group.