Need help to start contributing for Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Dec 14 20:23:31 PST 2014

Hi Nikhil

> On Dec 14, 2014, at 7:34 PM, Nikhil Bharadwaj <nikhil.gosala at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm Nikhil. I am very interested in contributing for Open Source Software and by doing some research I narrowed down to Subsurface. As I am new to this, I do not know how to start off.

So why did you pick Subsurface? Are you a diver? Do you have experience with Qt? Something else?

Just curious…

> Can someone please guide me through the whole process?

If you have never used Subsurface, start with the tutorial video. http://subsurface-divelog.org/tutorial-video/ <http://subsurface-divelog.org/tutorial-video/>
Then look at building Subsurface (http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/building/ <http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/building/> is a little outdated, we are literally days away from a new release and I’m in the process of updating this). And then you can start writing code: http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/contributing/ <http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/contributing/> is a good place to start.

So this is a very high level overview. I’m sure you have many more questions, but let’s see how far you get with this and then we can talk more :-)