Need help to start contributing for Subsurface

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 05:56:01 PST 2014

Nikhil,

We had a tiny bit of issues with new developers that dont read what we
write and keep asking the same questions over and over again, ignoring what
we said.

Dirk, the main developer, took the time to write you and instead of
answering you just repeated what you'v said in the previous email. Look,
this is no good. We care for newcomers, I was a newcomer before, but "how
do I start" is a very bad answer to the very Nice email that Dirk wrote.

Take your time to re read the email again and answer correctly, politely
and tougthfully, because if you keep with that atitude you will not find
help here.

Tomaz
Em 15/12/2014 11:48, "Nikhil Bharadwaj" <nikhil.gosala at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Hi,
> I just finished compiling Subsurface on my computer.
> Can someone help me out on how to start contributing.
>
> Regards,
> Nikhil Bharadwaj
>
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Nikhil Bharadwaj <nikhil.gosala at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Dear Dirk,
>>
>> I tried to do the above mentioned tasks. But when I am trying to compile
Subsurface, I am getting an error saying that the command qmake does not
exist.

>> $ git clone git://subsurface-divelog.org/subsurface.git
>> $ cd subsurface
>> $ qmake # qmake-qt4
>>
>> Can you please tell me how to rectify the problem? I am presently using
Fedora 21.

>> Regards
>> Nikhil Bharadwaj
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Nikhil Bharadwaj <
nikhil.gosala at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Dirk,
>>>
>>> No I am not a diver. I wanted to contribute to open-source and started
researching. It is then I came across Subsurface. I read through the
features and saw the requirements and liked it. So thats why I picked
Subsurface.

>>> Yes, Ill go through the videos and let you know.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Nikhil Bharadwaj

Software and by doing some research I narrowed down to Subsurface. As I am
new to this, I do not know how to start off.

experience with Qt? Something else?

http://subsurface-divelog.org/tutorial-video/
http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/building/ is a little outdated,
we are literally days away from a new release and I’m in the process of
updating this). And then you can start writing code:
http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/contributing/ is a good place
to start.

questions, but let’s see how far you get with this and then we can talk
more :-)