After 4.3 is out...

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Dec 18 00:48:53 PST 2014

Pedro,

> On 18.12.2014, at 01:32, Pedro Neves <nevesdiver at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As we're talking wishlist, I think it would be nice to improve the printing of the logbooks.
>
> Some people mentioned more information (that would be nice), but I'd like to have some more flexibility on the printing layouts.
> I don't know how easy it would be to implement a way of supporting different printing templates...

here is a rebased version of a patch that I sent long ago and which for good reasons did not make it into master but which for me fulfills exactly this purpose: It allows you to print log book pages via TeX (using the file logbookstyle.tex as a template essentially). You access it using the context menu of the dive list.

The problem with printing is that in order to be useful, the template system has to be powerful enough (as in descriptive, maybe NP completeness as for TeX is not really needed) and it should be able to produce decent output (meaning that should be able to handle variable sizes and line breaking and all that). Which to me seems to be a pretty accurate description of TeX.

The obvious problem is that while TeX is installed by default on many unix systems (or can easily be installed as for Mac) it is slightly painful for Windows and in any case it is a huge bulky thing that we do not want to force on our users just to have printing. But if you already have it or you don’t mind installing it then this patch might be what you are looking for.

BTW, if there is no pdftex binary in the PATH, this does nothing, so it is at least somewhat safe for people without TeX.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F