UI issues

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Dec 23 09:30:05 PST 2014

I know these are nit picks, but maybe documenting them will help
motivate someone to look into these issues.
And no, I'm not just talking about Tomaz. There are a few people here
who know enough Qt to take a look...

The first picture is a screenshot from Linux with a rather large font
(you can tell by how tiny the window title looks in comparison).

Overall this isn't bad - two things that stand out is the zero padding
in front of the labels (like "Location" above). This just looks
unprofessional.
The other thing that looks off is in the second marked area. The star
widget is of a fixed size and doesn't scale with the font size. Those
stars look tiny.

But as I said, this isn't terrible - this may be because the main Qt
developer (and most of the developers, actually) are on Linux. The
screenshot is from Fedora 20 w/ KDE, with Liberation Sans font at 14pt.

What I find far more disappointing is this screenshot, taken on a rrMBP
which has a scaled 1280x800 resolution using Calibri at 10pt. The fonts
here look about the same size since both screenshots were taken on the
same system, the Fedora 20 is a VM that is running at full resolution
and the Mac is doing odd things with scaling when taking screenshots of
the VM...

First, look at the ares marked red. Yikes we are wasting a TON of screen
space with just... nothing. Basically this is all the same large padding
that we are around our widgets. My guess is that this comes from the Mac
theme, but I think we need to fix this as it just looks terrible. I did
run things on my external monitor to see how this looks when not in
"retina" mode, but it's the same ratio of empty space. Not good.

The other thing that's really ugly is the alignment issue caused by the
missing 'tag bubbles'... or something. Look at the thin green lines. The
text areas that are missing the tag bubbles (and the multi line text for
the Notes have a reasonable amount of white space on the left edge. But
single line text fields (Location and suit) that don't use the tags
widget don't have that padding on the left and therefore look unaligned.
Yuck.

I need to play with the tag bubbles again - maybe they work on Mac with
Qt5? I can't remember how I was building things when we ended disabling
them. But either way, we do need the padding on the left for the single
line text edit widgets. Oh, and if you look closely you'll see that we
have the same issue with the labels sitting right at the edge - only
here the color difference of the two different backgrounds isn't so big,
so it's not as annoying as on Linux.