After 4.3 is out...

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Wed Dec 24 04:13:17 PST 2014

On 24 December, 2014 - Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> It works<tm>, but its a bit ugly and is best used with a mouse connected
> >> to your Android device =)
> >>

> >> What we need to do to create a great experience for touch devices, is
> >> UI/UX design.
> >>

> >> From what I've read, its not that different to build a Qt app for Apple
> >> IOS, but I haven't tried but i plan to.
> >>

> > Why we don't build native apps for android and IOS instead of using the QT
> > version built for desktop. especially that we don't need all the features
> > in the desktop version. I am thinking that a dive reader will be great as
> > mentioned.
> >

> The idea is to build a Qt version for Phones using QML.
> The issue with building an native app for android, a native app for iphone,
> a native app for windows phone is that subsurface is a very complex app and
> we don't have the manpower to create three different versions. So Qt can
> help there. Not by using the same app as the Desktop Client, but by
> creating a simplified version that uses QML.

Building "native" apps with just the subsurface core as c/c++ part is
also an option.

There exists a skeleton of a core library for building a Android java
frontend to download dives with, but its not yet ready for mainline.

You can find the bits on github[1] and play around with.

Which path is the best then? I'd say thats depends on who is building
it.

//Anton

1. https://github.com/venkateshshukla/dc_import_android

--