After 4.3 is out...

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 24 07:02:58 PST 2014

> On Dec 24, 2014, at 3:29 AM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
>
> It works<tm>, but its a bit ugly and is best used with a mouse connected
> to your Android device =)
>

> What we need to do to create a great experience for touch devices, is
> UI/UX design.
>

> From what I've read, its not that different to build a Qt app for Apple
> IOS, but I haven't tried but i plan to.
>

> Why we don't build native apps for android and IOS instead of using the QT version built for desktop. especially that we don't need all the features in the desktop version. I am thinking that a dive reader will be great as mentioned.
>
> The idea is to build a Qt version for Phones using QML.
> The issue with building an native app for android, a native app for iphone, a native app for windows phone is that subsurface is a very complex app and we don't have the manpower to create three different versions. So Qt can help there. Not by using the same app as the Desktop Client, but by creating a simplified version that uses QML.

With all due respect - we don’t have the manpower to do everything we want to do on the desktop app.
Instead of spending massive amounts of work on three new apps (what about a Tizen app, what about Firefox OS, what about Sailfish?) we should figure out how much it will take to make the current UI “mostly” useful.
Playing with Anton’s build has been on my todo list since, I don’t know, forever.
I keep wasting my time fixing bugs, making releases, creating builds for our users, helping new features along…