website redesign

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Dec 29 00:26:40 PST 2014

> On Dec 29, 2014, at 12:19 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
>
> Not sure how often you guys look at our website… I paid a consultant to turn this from a moron induced design disaster (i.e., my work) into something that’s actually quite attractive, I think. Of course I managed to botch the migration to the production site (nothing ever works the way it’s planned), but hopefully Sean will fix this soon.
>
> ssrftest.subsurface-divelog.org <http://ssrftest.subsurface-divelog.org/> is the test environment that shows you how it SHOULD look.
>
> The main website should look that way as well, soon.
>
> Comments and feedback are of course welcome.
>
> Hi!
>
> Congratulations with the website facelift!
>
> That said, I hope you didn't pay the consultant too much?  There are a several obvious flaws to the new look, which makes me think that this was not done by a professional.  Here are a few of them:

It’s more that I wanted to get this out while he and I are still fixing a couple of small issues

> - I don't know if a background picture is a good idea, but even if it is, it doesn't repeat, so it looks weird (see nonrepeating.png).

A picture like this really can’t repeat. It’s supposed to stretch all the way across the visible area and not scroll (which it does for me). I wonder what’s going on for you there. Which browser is that?

> - Also, the "Subsurface" title is displayed twice on top.  So either get rid of the top image, or get rid of the title box (see doubletitle.png)

We’ve always had that :-)

> - The comment area is huge (see muchspace.png)

Will be completely gone, soon.