website redesign

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Mon Dec 29 00:30:10 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Not sure how often you guys look at our website… I paid a consultant to
> turn this from a moron induced design disaster (i.e., my work) into
> something that’s actually quite attractive, I think. Of course I managed to
> botch the migration to the production site (nothing ever works the way it’s
> planned), but hopefully Sean will fix this soon.
>
> ssrftest.subsurface-divelog.org is the test environment that shows you
> how it SHOULD look.
>
> The main website should look that way as well, soon.
>
> Comments and feedback are of course welcome.

Congratulations with the website facelift!

That said, I hope you didn't pay the consultant too much?  There are a
several obvious flaws to the new look, which makes me think that this was
not done by a professional.  Here are a few of them:

- I don't know if a background picture is a good idea, but even if it is,
it doesn't repeat, so it looks weird (see nonrepeating.jpg).

- Also, the "Subsurface" title is displayed twice on top.  So either get
rid of the top image, or get rid of the title box (see doubletitle.jpg)

- The comment area is huge (see muchspace.jpg)

Anyway, happy holidays!

Henrik