Fwd: Re: Compilation error on latest master and build instructions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Dec 30 07:16:28 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 04:27:13PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Benjamin, Anton, Miika,
>
> Thank you very much for the pointers. I managed in the end in exactly the
> ways you suggested. We need to get the latest Linux build instructions on
> the Subsurface web site. The current ones (for V4.2) are not quite up to
> date and would not go a long way to help a newby. Who has access to the web
> site? I can do HTML but my Javascript sucks.

Yeah. ALSO one of my infinite spare time todo issues.

For those reading along (and there are about 250 people on this list) you
might be hearing a common thread...

Way too few people get involved. We have about 20 actice developers, about
the same number active translators. And another handful of people who
provide a patch here and there and a few more who test and provide great
reports, great ideas, etc.

We need people who step up and help with some of the other tasks. Like
maintaining the web site. Like tracking down build errors and packaging
errors.

> (1) We need to get a better resolution of dependencies on the Qt5 and marble
> requirements as well. Two problems on Ubuntu: (a) Downloading Marble and/or
> Qt5 from their respective web sites does not help for satisfying
> dependencies of Subsurface at all. (b) Neither does a sudo apt-get build-dep
> for subsurface on Ubuntu since Subsurface is moving much faster than the
> Ubuntu updaters do.

Which is why I do daily builds for Ubuntu. Fact is, very few people build
Subsurface from source. And pretty much every single one who does is on
this mailing list.

> 2) Taking into account the problems with the Subsurface branch of
> libdivecomputer, the build instructions for using libdivecomputer with
> Subsurface need to be resolved as well.

Yes.

I'll take a stab at quick and dirty modifications of the English build
instructions plus a pointer in the other languages that mentions that
those are translations of outdated instructions. Then the translators can
remove those once they updated to the latest version.

Hey, I had planned to work on Win32 this morning. Guess I'll work on the
website first. And then find time to figure out OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Then
after all that, I can look at the latest few bugs that were reported. And
after that I'm sure there'll be lots of time to work on all the feature
requests. Look into what we need for Android. And plan for 4.4.

Easy, right?