only copy used cylinders to planned dive

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 31 08:14:15 PST 2014

> On Dec 31, 2014, at 3:17 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
>> On 30 Dec 2014, at 21:33, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de <mailto:helling at atdotde.de>> wrote:
>>
>> <0001-Only-copy-used-cyliders-to-planned-dive.patch>
>> Dirk,
>>
>> please double check this patch, as it was you who explicitly wrote there „false“  in 611bae34 for reasons beyond me.
>>
>> Best
>> Robert
>
> since this patch was not accepted and on IRC, Dirk asked for agreement (i.e. discussion): Let me reveal that the concept of „unused tanks“ is a bit beyond me. In which situation would I use them?!? I understand that some dive computers allow their users to preconfigure a number of mixes and those that were not switched to during the dive end up in the cylinder list as unused.
>
> I don’t have such a computer, so to reproduce the bug #798 and test my patch, I had to edit a dive in a text editor (i chose test19.xml) to remove gas change events and thus have unused gases.
>
> I don’t understand why one would want to have unused gases in the first place (except when they come from a dive computer as above) and therefore I do not understand what the expected behaviour for planning starting from a dive with unused gases would be. But I agree with the reporter of #789 that the planner switching to gases that are not in the table of cylinders is certainly not expected behaviour.

I can’t speak to the expected behavior for others. I think a typical scenario is this:

- I tend to dive with the same setup, let’s say 20/30 back gas and two deco tanks, a 40% and an 80%.
- my dive computer is one of those that always reports all gases and there I have 34%, 20/30, 40% and 80% configured and simply set gas number 2 as starting gas (that’s what I have had happen with my Petrel for example)
- if I now copy from one of those dives, the 34% “tank” is unused and things go wrong if the unused tanks aren’t copied as well - but I haven’t observed this so I can’t quite tell you what’s going wrong. Someone mentioned gas index and actual tank that it should correspond to no longer match?

> That was my reason to make unused gases irrelevant for the planner. But if somebody explains to be a use case for unused gases appearing in the planned dive I would be happy to implement that.

Someone who actually observed the issue needs to speak up