patches for the new profile

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Feb 5 10:07:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Moron is typically used for lack of education. Or lack of thinking
> things through. Like the email you just sent which was moronic.

Look it up. Seriously. "Moron", "idiot" and "imbecile" are all
historically medical terms (although they obviously also were/are used
in non-medical settings).

They were literally associated with different IQ ranges. In medical literature.

Really really. It was not about "lack of education", any more than
"retard" is about lack of education. And me claiming so is *not*
indicative of lack of education on my part. Quite the reverse.

Of course, from a colloquial standpoint, _all_ of them are often
associated with lack of education ("He doesn't believe in evolution?
What a moron/idiot/retard"). And yes, the old IQ ranges aren't
actually used medically any more.

                    Linus