Deco Terminology - call for discussion

David Tillotson david at acmelabs.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 10:45:47 UTC 2014

I would have to agree with this. The whole "deco/NDL" separation has always srruck me as a dangerous one. I was taught that it is a "no mandatory stop" dive, which reinforces that you do still off-gas.
However, most dive computer manufacturers, and almost all training agencies often use the "NDL" terminology, so my opinion would be to stick with that in the manual to avoid confusion.
--
David Tillotson

On 12 February 2014 18:29:09 GMT, Pedro Neves <nevesdiver at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>While on the process of helping Willem (and all the others) with the
>Subsurface manual, I keep wondering if we should change the terminology
>
>that refers to "no-deco" dives (and NDL, etc.).
>
>I Personally hate the fact that people (and books) refer to some dives
>as “no decompressions dives” when in reality they should be called
>“minimum decompression dives”.
>Technically speaking, decompression is a reduction in ambient pression,
>
>which occurs at the end of every single dive.
>
>To me, the difference between dives is that some dictate that only a
>“minimum deco” (ascent rate in the region of 3 to 10 m/min and a
>“safety
>stop”) and others dictate one or more “decompression stops”.
>Reffering to minimum deco dives as no-deco dives helps, in my oppinion,
>
>to perpetuate the notion that decompression is a somewhat "obscure" and
>
>"esoteric" thing that matters only to experienced or "technical" divers
>
>and that it's relevant only on some of out dives.
>

>I know this is a controversial issue and I certainly don't want to
>impose my views on anyone, but I'd like to have your opinions on
>whether
>to apply this view on our manual, or just keep this to myself...
>
>Thanks in advance:
>
>Pedro Neves

David Tillotson