Deco Terminology - call for discussion

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo at fabricadeideias.com
Wed Feb 12 10:46:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Pedro Neves <nevesdiver at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi all:
>
> While on the process of helping Willem (and all the others) with the
> Subsurface manual, I keep wondering if we should change the terminology
> that refers to "no-deco" dives (and NDL, etc.).
>
> I Personally hate the fact that people (and books) refer to some dives as
> "no decompressions dives" when in reality they should be called "minimum
> decompression dives".
> Technically speaking, decompression is a reduction in ambient pression,
> which occurs at the end of every single dive.
>
> To me, the difference between dives is that some dictate that only a
> "minimum deco" (ascent rate in the region of 3 to 10 m/min and a "safety
> stop") and others dictate one or more "decompression stops".
> Reffering to minimum deco dives as no-deco dives helps, in my oppinion, to
> perpetuate the notion that decompression is a somewhat "obscure" and
> "esoteric" thing that matters only to experienced or "technical" divers and
> that it's relevant only on some of out dives.

I don't think Subsurface should try to "impose" a new terminology. I
believe it would be a source of confusion.

Having said that, I believe that it would be good to include an explanation
on the manual mentioning that "no-deco dives" actually mean dives without
deco stops. As I just see, it's similar to what PADI is doing according to
Joe Ross.

Rodrigo