Donwloading from suunto zoop

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 12 13:30:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 13:22 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Erick Mezzoni <erick.mezzoni at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How an old file? I downloaded some dive 2 weeks ago but i couldn't make it
> > with the dives of my last weekend.
>
> So if you check the "save libdivecomputer logfile" or "dumpfile"
> checkmarks, NO DIVES WILL BE DOWNLOADED.
>
> It will *only* generate the dumpfile. It's on purpose - but badly
> documented - for debugging purposes.

BADLY DOCUMENTED? It pops up a frigging alert box that says "Saving the
libdivecomputer dump will NOT download dives to the dive list".

What else should it do? Ring cowbells and and poke the user in the
eye???

> So the very fact that you have dump-files makes people worried. If you
> have a dump-file, we don't *expect* the dives to get added to the
> subsurface logs at all. See?
>
> Dirk - that interface sucks. It's confusing. It's horrid. The dump/log
> thing should be somewhere *far* removed from the "download dives"
> button. A whole different "debug libdivecomputer" menu item or
> something.

Thanks but no thanks. The interface does EXACTLY what I want it to do
and EXACTLY where I want it to do it.

You can store a log file and nothing bad happens.

You can get the dump AND IT TELLS YOU THAT YOU WON'T GET DIVES

This is straight forward, easy, not confusing.

Having a hidden option somewhere else - now that's confusing.