**[dive]** Re: Add main menu recent files

Patrick Majewski dive at patrick-majewski.de
Thu Feb 13 22:59:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

at first i thought, why did he stick on 4 entries. Putting the addition
of the actions/menu entries in the mainwindow.cpp instead of hard wiring
it in the .ui file this could be more flexible.
But reading this:

Am 2014-02-14 07:15, schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
> On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 22:48 +0100, Boris Barbulovski wrote:
>>
>> This patch adds recent files list into main menu.
> My guess is that outside of the developers most people only ever use
> one
> file, their default file. But especially for people who maintain a
> divelog for two people this might be really useful.

it makes sense to me again.

> I"m not sure I'm in love with the way this is done (in the File Menu)
> and in a way it seems a bit confusing together with the default file,
> but I'll let others play with it and speak up.

Where should they appear else? This is the default behavior in the
Applications. Aside it is a file operation so it should appear in the
file menu.
Perhaps it should be able to enable this feature via preferences and
disable this by default to prevent confusion for user with only one
divelog.

> Speaking of future improvement. What happened to your indentation
> settings? Or more specifically, to your curly brace positioning?
> That's pure Allman style, and as much as I like Eric, his husband and
> his sister... the brace style he brought to the world is really
> terrible. Way too much wasted vertical space...
> I used this as an excuse to tweak my little automated whitespace /
> coding style tool a little more and run it over mainwindow.cpp (the
> file
> which you treated to so much extra vertical spread).

As you speak about the coding policy I'd like to mention, that marking
class variables (declared in header)  with e.g. m_ or something else
increases the readability.
Especially for someone new in this project it is quite confusing to get
an overview on the source.

kind regards
Patrick Majewski

--