Strange question about cylinders

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Feb 17 09:55:21 UTC 2014

On Feb 16, 2014 11:28 PM, "Benjamin" <nystire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that that's out the way:
> When diving doubles, what would the best way to enter the tanks be? If
I'm diving them as 2 independant tanks, would it be 2 tanks of AL80 size?
If I'm diving 2 AL80s, using a manifold, what would be best to enter? To
just pretend that it's a single 24 litre tank? Use a type of AL80 and a
size of 22.2 litres? Or is there a recommended way to do this?

We discussed this long ago, since many dive logs have a button for
"double". We didn't go that way, since in subsurface the easiest way is to
just declare a new cylinder's type (by just writing the name and filling
out the information).

Anyway, you should group your cylinders the way you breathe them - or at
least the way you described them to your dive computer and/or cylinder
pressures.

In other words, if you breathe them as one manifold, it should be one entry
in the equipment list. If you ever "switch tanks" they need to be two
entries, since we'd track the pressures separately.

So if you dive with a manifold, just call it a new cylinder type (say
"Double AL80"), fill in the information as a 22.2 liter tank. Next time you
dive with that, the information will be all there, so when you select that
"Double AL80" it will just do the right thing and you don't need to full in
any information about size or working pressure.

And if you really dive them as two separate cylinders, and fill in the
pressure data (or have cylinder pressure integration for one or both on
your dive computer) separately, then you'd fill in the equipment list as
two different AL80's.

So both ways are "correct", it depends on your own usage on how you treat
two cylinders like that.

       Linus