GSOC 2014

Yaoxuan Jiang jiangyaoxuan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:30:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

My name is Yaoxuan. I’m a 4th year computer science student from National University of Singapore. I’ m quite interested in the iPhone App idea and I've around 2-year iOS programming experience. I’ve interned in two start-ups to develop iOS app and one of them is on App Store now :) And also one of my iOS project is similar to this idea.

I just have one question about  the background GPS tracking. Can the app send the GPS location when there is a significant GPS location change instead of using time interval?

Because now in iOS 7 all apps in background will be suspended in 3mins, the timer that is used for send GPS location periodically will also be disabled and the app will stop sending GPS as well after 3mins.
Though there is a way to keep the background task alive, the way is not suggested in App documentation and differs from different iOS systems. The old way that works on iOS 6 doesn’t work on iOS 7 now :(
The only way to wake up a background app temporally is when there is a significant GPS location change, and this is done by the iOS system, so we cannot set a timer to do it.
There is a link about this problem, Hope it can explain my question clearly :)
http://gooddevbaddev.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/ios-7-running-location-based-apps-in-the-background/

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Yaoxuan Jiang.