GSoC 2014 Ideas

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 26 16:38:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 17:54 -0600, Alberto Corona wrote:
> Alright so, I've gone through either building most of the dependencies
> natively, or using the binaries and I'd like to make a few changes to
> the instructions. Most notably using Cygwin instead of Msysgit as
> Cygwin has an installer that offers some of the dependencies that are
> needed. This will let the user just select packages from a list (also
> has search) instead of having to go to different sites to download
> them. Also, the link to mingw given in the instructions links to a
> pretty old version of mingw32-gcc (gcc vesion 4.4.0). I've run into a
> few issues though, mostly with pkg-config, spaces in directories and
> even parenthesis in directories.

I'm totally open to asking people to use Cygwin.
When playing with native builds in the past I've shied away from that as
it is so huge, but if you get something that works and is consistent and
somewhat easy to do... I'm fine with Cygwin.

pkg-config is a known issue. I think you simply need to work around it
and make sure that the .pro and .pri files don't require it.

As for spaces and parenthesis in directories. Yeah, that's one of the
things about Windows that always get me frustrated. I don't have good
advise there...