Gsoc 2014 ideas

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Thu Feb 27 07:42:47 PST 2014

Hi,

For the "Ability to Configure Dive Computers" idea, one of the
prerequisites is access to a supported dive computer. I think you can
easily drop this requirement. The most likely target dive computer for
this feature is the Heinrichs-Weikamp OSTC. It's open source, the
available settings are fully documented, and modifying them is already
supported by libdivecomputer. But reading and writing the OSTC EEPROM
(which is where the settings are stored) is also supported by the
libdivecomputer simulator. That means you can test your code without
needing an OSTC at all. Even firmware updates can be simulated! Dropping
this requirement will probably make it easier to find a student that can
work on this :-)

Of course I'm also happy to assist a student with the libdivecomputer
related parts of this idea.

If the Gsoc ideas are not restricted to subsurface, but can be extended
into libdivecomputer territory, then I may have another suggestion:
integrate the subsurface Uemis code in libdivecomputer.

Jef