suggested changes to the fake profile

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Jan 3 11:23:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> If no average depth is given we should create standard rectangular
> profile or a rectangular profile with safety stop (assuming the dive was
> long and deep enough for that to be reasonable).

Try it. It looks ridiculous for a 145ft dive.

That's not entirely theoretical. I used my Belize Blue Hole dive as a
test comparison to a dive with a 140ft max and no average. The
rectangular version looks just crazy.

avg_d = max_d/2 admittedly looks even better, but the "avg_d = (max_d
+ 10m ) / 3" came from some other dives.

I agree that our dive profiles don't look wonderful (and that's true
even *if* you have a mean depth), but compared to the "rectangular
with a safety stop" they look fine. So it may be a slightly ad-hoc
thing, but it's certainly not worse than some of the alternatives you
mention.

                  Linus