support for images per dive

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Jan 4 16:28:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i suggested that we use byte chunks in XML e.g. embedding raw
> PNG/JPEG/format in a XML tag which is ugly but doesn't break the
> format

Please no.

The xml file is *already* slow to open. You may not notice this with
small test-files, but on slow laptops (think traveling) and thousands
of dives (think serious divers), it's a couple of seconds just to open
and parse the xml.

Which is borderline fine, but it's something that we definitely must
not make worse. And attaching pictures in the xml would make it *much*
worse.

Quite frankly, I'd much rather have a separate association, quite
independent of the xml. Perhaps a separate photos file that would have
a way to associate the dives (possibly just by date and time) with a
collection of photos. Set up so that the photos can be loaded lazily
when the dive is looked up, not synchronously when the dive log is
loaded.

                 Linus