support for images per dive

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 16:40:19 UTC 2014

On 5 January 2014 02:28, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> i suggested that we use byte chunks in XML e.g. embedding raw
>> PNG/JPEG/format in a XML tag which is ugly but doesn't break the
>> format
>
> Please no.
>
> The xml file is *already* slow to open. You may not notice this with
> small test-files, but on slow laptops (think traveling) and thousands
> of dives (think serious divers), it's a couple of seconds just to open
> and parse the xml.
>
> Which is borderline fine, but it's something that we definitely must
> not make worse. And attaching pictures in the xml would make it *much*
> worse.
>
> Quite frankly, I'd much rather have a separate association, quite
> independent of the xml. Perhaps a separate photos file that would have
> a way to associate the dives (possibly just by date and time) with a
> collection of photos. Set up so that the photos can be loaded lazily
> when the dive is looked up, not synchronously when the dive log is
> loaded.

i still think that a dive should be zip in an eventual new format.
i would appreciate dirk to comment on this one.

the whole approach of containing everything in a single file is quite
stable in terms of the user ways to copy and maintain it.
so perhaps we should consider that.

thigo's suggestion to zip-it-all seems the most sane to me...and we
already use libzip.

lubomir