support for images per dive

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 22:26:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2014, at 4:28 PM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> i suggested that we use byte chunks in XML e.g. embedding raw
> >> PNG/JPEG/format in a XML tag which is ugly but doesn't break the
> >> format
> >
> > Please no.
>
> Funny. That’s what I said. I only wasn’t as polite as you :-)
>
> > The xml file is *already* slow to open. You may not notice this with
> > small test-files, but on slow laptops (think traveling) and thousands
> > of dives (think serious divers), it's a couple of seconds just to open
> > and parse the xml.
> >
> > Which is borderline fine, but it's something that we definitely must
> > not make worse. And attaching pictures in the xml would make it *much*
> > worse.
>
> That’s one of the many reasons not to do this. Also, a dozen good pictures
> from a dive would add about 100MB (in decent resolution). Think 500 dives
> and we are talking 50GB. That’s. Umm. BIG.

I would rather point to the images, wherever they are. I hate to have
multiple copies of the same images around my laptop. That would mean
associating a base directory for images for each dive, and mapping images
in that directory structure to the dive profile.

Then an export function would bundle images and the XML into a zip file for
sharing or generate an HTML page with dive profile and images.

miika