support for images per dive

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 07:09:03 UTC 2014

On 5 January 2014 12:41, Robert C. Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

> On 05 Jan 2014, at 07:55, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, that's kind of what I had in mind.
> Normally you'd just have a reference to wherever the picture / video might
> be in your filesystem.
> But you CAN export to a zip file that has everything. For sharing our
> archival.

but, we need to tell the libzip people that their ZIP_CREATE logic is
quite broken on win32.
until then, we don't have a safe way to package zip files in strange
locations at all.

i was recently looking for libzip alternatives, and minizip, which is
part of zlib was one, but looking at their sources i think i spotted
the same lack of _wopen() on win32.

> A solution might be to store an URI per image. Then the file could be in the
> local file system for fast access or on the web (flickr, picasa or some
> other album) and would be available wherever the xml is opened as long as
> there is internet.

i like the URI idea a lot, this will support images from anywhere.
and perhaps this should be our initial goal.

over IRC last night there was also a discussion about an 'image pool'
of sorts per dive.
the 'image pool' would contain all images and we can maintain them
with a dialog of sorts add/view/delete/use on profile.
now the 'use on profile' idea is to have icons on the profile, that
when perhaps clicked will show the image somewhere.
we can possibly use EXIF info to gather time and date and place these
image icons on the profile.
but if EXIF says this image is before or after the dive, we can still
have it for this dive, but not on the profile...something in these
lins.

one of those 'my idea, but i'm not a diver', so please bash away...

lubomir