dumping libzip

Martin Gysel me at bearsh.org
Wed Jan 8 00:51:42 UTC 2014

Am 08.01.2014 00:22, schrieb Lubomir I. Ivanov:

>>> we can, but i was concerned about our code base inflation based on
>>> previous emails in this thread.
>>> the minizip upstead adds some extra 1k-2k lines of code just for that
>>> buffer i/o API.
>>>
>>> if we use zlib upsteam minizip does not have support for buffer i/o.
>>
>> Is it worth the 1-2k? For us it's just a quick detour via a temp file. I
>> think that's overkill to avoid the temp file.
>>

> it think we can skip the buffer support for now.
> i generally i don't understand libraries not supporting file i/o next
> to buffer i/o.
> it's pretty much the same thing.
>
> when we started adding gettext support for the GTK build i wrote this
> in my spare time for fun:
> https://github.com/neolit123/cfg2
>
> one of the first features i've added was buffer readout...pretty much. :)
>

>> Please send patches. This sounds like the right thing to do.
>>

> will try to do so!

just to be sure I've understood you two correctly, you agreed to bundle
zlib's minizip. If that's true, I sink it shouldn't be to hard to let
qmake decide which one to use, the bundled version statically linked or
the system one linked dynamically (e.g. if pkg-config file is found).
this should also make the distros happy which ship zlib's minizip and
have the 'don't bundle libs if ever possible policy'.

/martin