auto-indent research result and proposal

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 19 08:53:47 UTC 2014

On Jan 18, 2014, at 4:23 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:

>>> I think he means continuation lines. There are three solutions to them:
>>>
>>> 1) align and enforce the tabstop size (this is Emacs default)
>>> [ tab  ]unsigned x = (a + b +
>>> [ tab  ][ tab   ].... c);
>>
>> That's what our current code does
>
> And that's what I understood from Danilo that his formatting rules are doing.

Yes.

I spent some time with this. I like it in principle but I don’t think it will work for us.
At least not as required hook
a) clang-format isn’t included on a Mac - so all our Mac based developers would
have to build llvm/clang from source in order to get the tools.
b) the formatting of Qt control structures is hideous.

a) is something we could work around I’m sure
b) is the one that I need a solution for