Subsurface crashes on launch in OS Mavericks

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 26 14:34:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 14:20 -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sábado, 11 de janeiro de 2014 18:58:24, Medical Corner wrote:
> > Hi, I started to use Subsurface from version 4.0 on my MacBook Pro (2:53 Ghz
> > processor Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3) on which there is
> > the Mavericks OS 10.9.1. Everything went well. Since I upgraded to version
> > 4.01 and 4.02 the software crashes on launch. I enclose the report. Sorry
> > but I'mnot a computer expert. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the
> > software without success. Any advice please.

I assume you have seen that there is a binary available at our website
that hopefully should work...

http://subsurface.hohndel.org/downloads/Subsurface-4.0.2-for-10.9.dmg

> Looks like the Qt build somehow was compiled with AVX requirements (that is,
> Intel Core 2nd Generation or later). The crashing instruction is a vxorps.
>
> We're in the second stage of debugging: "that doesn't happen on my machine".
> Stay tuned.

My current working guess is that somehow my changes to get Qt to compile
in a backward compatible fashion (so things run on 10.5 and later)
magically caused it to compile in AVX instructions (which makes no sense
whatsoever) and that oddly that code path is ONLY used on 10.9.

Occam's Razor says "Bull$h!t" to this idea but that's what we are
working with...

:-)