The UI looks weird

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 02:51:44 PDT 2014

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Could I ask some info on the GUI?
>>
>> I felt in love with Subsurface and its functionalities.
>> Nevertheless opening the app at first glance you immediately notice
>> that it has something weird. The look & feel has something different.
>> It looks naive. I'm using it under Windows.
>
> What version of subsurface are you using and what are the naive
> differences? we are trying hard to make it look consistent on the
> platform, but since I'm 100% of the time in linux, it's hard to be
> 100% precise.

4.1.379

>> I'm a seasoned Java programmer and I know nothing of QT libraries but
>> it remember me the first Java UI at the beginning of year 2000. Today
>> it's impossible to see differences from a Java UI and a Native UI.
>
> I Completely disagree here. "java" means nothing, you need to specify
> what widget library you are using: AWT is completely different from
> the system as Swing is also completely different from the system.  QWT
> however is more similar to the system because it uses the system
> libraries.

Sorry I was referring to Eclipse SWT that uses native calls but I've
seen a lot of Swing apps with a good approximation.
I read that QT uses native library on each platform.
Anyway I'm not criticizing your work. I'm just telling that I spread
this app among my dive buddies and all of them immediately told me
that it doesn't seem a real Windows application. They asked me: "is it
Java?" :)
I'm using the Segoe UI font but it still doesn't look good. Maybe it's
just the way in which the UI is designed and how widgets are layout.
Really I don't know.

>> One of the strange things is the UI font. Why I'm permitted to use a
>> different font for the entire UI?
>
> Because the default windows font doesn't have all UTF8 characters that
> we are using, and thus, we need to choose a font that has it.
>
>> I find useful having the opportunity to change font on tables and
>> planner but menu and other widgets should standard Windows default
>> fonts. Segoe UI since Vista and Tahoma for XP.
>
> They don't have ², ½ and other symbols, we can't use that.

How this problem is managed in a Windows native application?

I have to ask to install Subsurface to a diver friend of mine who is
Apple centric.

Thanks
--
Davide