Saving changes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jul 2 09:00:09 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 08:57:35AM -0700, Richard DePas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
>

> > To get rid of any confusion we might rename the button to “Commit changes
> > to dive list”. Then nobody thinks anything is written to disk.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> Would a non-programmer really understand the difference between "Commit
> changes to dive list" and "Save to disk"?  It may be understood the dive
> lists are on disk since the log file being opened is from disk.

I'd change it to "Accept" and "Revert"

> Would it just make sense to save changes to dive lists automatically when
> changes are made and the dive is deselected - then prompt the user to save
> changes on exit of the program. Which would save them to disk as it does
> now with other changes?

No, I really want the two layers of "Accept" and then "Save". I often
download my dives and start editing and adding things. If I mess something
up I just say "Cancel" (well, now maybe "Revert") and start again on the
last dive, without having to re-download everything.

> Guess what I am stating is, can the edits in the dive list be automatic
> rather than manually popping open the Save/Cancel when a field is clicked
> on?

See above.