Transifex has moved to a closed-source model

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 03:13:35 PDT 2014

On 4 July 2014 11:18, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I have learned the sad news yesterday, but it seems that transifex has moved to
> a closed source model.
> It was "announced"/discussed there:
> https://github.com/transifex/transifex/issues/206#issuecomment-15243207
>
> The question becomes then, do we want to reconsider its use?
> The follow-up question being, where to move?
>
> If I would reply positively to the first question, I do not have any answers for
> the second one.

as far as i understood the implications on a quick read and since
their desired model is the current github model as a comparison, why
move from a closed source online service which provides free of charge
project hosting, given there are no license clashes - i.e. subsurface
will still remain GPL compliant?

if subsurface applies a new ideology in the lines of "we will not use
a closed source online service", then subsurface should stop using
github as well.

"The decision was engineering-driven, not business-driven"
if the above is true and unless they suddenly add some limitations for
a free project after the change, such as 10 max languages i don't see
the need to switch services.

2c
lubomir