Subsurface isn't matching my last 4 dives from the service

Salvador Cuñat salvador.cunat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 09:58:10 PDT 2014

Hi Marc.

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 12:08:34PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 12:36:26AM +0200, Salvador Cuñat wrote:
> > I see two failures in actual implementation:
> >
> > 1.- The one corrected by the patch (the first condition goes nowhere if
> > the position fix is not in the diving period range)
> >
> > 2.- The second part which starts when first condition fails, relays on
> > find_dive_n_near() helper and simply applies the dives to the position
> > fixes secuentially, and do weird things when dive times and (specially)
> > position fixes times reach the six hour difference with the first time
> > fixed. This is not trivial.
>
> Do you have a new bug filed for this, or are you able to file one, or
> would you like me to file one? :)

Better still, attached is a patch that I think solves the problem. It
worked well on test positions and test dives, and also on real positions
and dives of my own taken yesterday during a dive trip.

Would you be so kind of trying it on those yours that failed earlier?

> > > Also, if I feed better points via a GPX track, will they override the
> > > bad points?
> >
> > I don't think so. The logic depends on matching position fix time with
> > dive time, you would need to have times in the GPX track that match
> > somehow the times of the DC.
>
> That's the whole point of a GPX track. A track has multiple points per
> minute and can often have 10K points in a single track.
> The current code in subsurface doesn't parse tracks, but if it did (and
> it could borrow code from exiftool or gpsphoto as given in my previous
> Email), it could find a point that within a few seconds and even log
> where you dive started and where it ended for a drift dive.
>
> Wouldn't that be cool? :)

This would deserve a feature request in bug trak. Althoug this is
somehow working via companion app importing GPX files capability.
There would be two problems there:

1.- The positions in GPX file need to be named or won't be parsed by
companion or accepted by the server.
2.- The server is still working in time model hh:mm:00 (yes, zero
seconds) so only accepts one position each minute. Yesterday companion
fixed 6 or 7 positions each minute for me while in the boat, but the
server seems to accept the first uploaded and companion is unable to
upload the others in the minute (I thought I've filed a bug for this but
I can't see it, I'll file another one).

Regards.

Salva.