valgrind illegal instruction

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Tue Jul 8 12:33:30 PDT 2014

On Tuesday 08 July 2014 20:45:41 Robert C. Helling wrote:
> On 07 Jul 2014, at 21:55, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Valgrind also prints the bytes near the instruction pointer that caused
> > the
> > SIGILL, so we should be able to decode manually. And with the fault
> > address, you should be able to find the instruction in the output of
> > objdump -Cdr.
> I think the most likely explanation is that valgrind does not like to run
> with Mac OSC Mavericks and its versions of clang and lldb. But see for
> yourself, here is its output when running subsurface:
>
> http://euve10195.vserver.de/~robert/valgrind.run

Looks like Valgrind did not intercept all the malloc calls. It's useless to
run it on that system.

The SIGILL wasn't a bad instruction, but instead the unhandled syscall
(dispatch_kq_init). Valgrind doesn't know what that does, so it can't proceed.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358