Bug with Dive log from Suunto( without attachment)

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 07:49:54 PDT 2014

Hummm I got a similar problem last year with some Visual C libraries: it
was impossible to open simple text UTF-8 files created by a simple Visual C
program. All the file had this (EF BB BF) BOM Byte Order Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

A nightmare of Windows I/O libraries.

Maybe something similar?

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM, oldrich.olmer <oldrich.olmer at seznam.cz>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Miika,
>>
>> Your XML works correctly :-)  In the attachment you can see my not
>> function XML. When i tried  to save your XML by my SUBSURFACE  4.1.0.0 and
>> open it again, it was also not working ... :-(
>> I use Windows XP SP3 and SUBSURFACE  4.1.0.0 anyway at the evening i will
>> try my PC with windows 7 and will see....
>>

> Now that I have looked into Oldrich's XML file, it seems that Subsurface
> writes the output XML file with invalid UTF-8 character in it. Thus the
> parsing fails when trying to open that file. When I do the conversion on
> Linux from Suunto to Subsurface, everything works but the save on Windows
> is faulty.
>
> The notes field in question starts with word Èekání but the resulting XML
> file is missing the \xc3 from the first character:
>
> echo -n Èekání | xxd
> 0000000: c388 656b c3a1 6ec3 ad                   ..ek..n..
>
> Does anyone have a clue of what could be the cause?
>
> miika

Davide