tissue saturation in repetitive diving

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 00:58:48 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de>
> wrote:
>

>> On 15.07.2014, at 07:14, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is something wrong currently with the calculation of tissue
>> saturation. It looks like the earlier dive is getting cumulative saturation
>> from the later dive. Clearly visible when you open the XML and switch
>> between the dives. There is also a spike on the start of the earlier dive
>> as show on screenshot.
>>
>> This is with the beta release (and master).
>>
>> I have added a test XML to demonstrate the issue. dives/test20.xml with
>> the same dive repeated again the next day.
>>
>> miika
>>

>> Miika,
>>
>> TL;DR: Works as designed.
>>
>> I believe this is fine. It is the outcome of the problem with “negative
>> slope” that we had a few weeks ago. The point is that gradient factors are
>> not really well defined during the early descent phase of the dive (as
>> GFlow is defined to apply at the depth of the first stop but there is not
>> really a first stop when you just entered the water).
>>
>> For a longer explanation, see my commit message for e38a473a4d9119b86e5484a03dbf2cafdb8d145c
>> (and also some posts to the mailing list I wrote in connection with it)
>>
>> If you think, we need to explain this to our users, I could try to write
>> something for the manual (or alternatively: a web page to which the manual
>> could point). But unlikely this week as it’s super busy at work.
>>

> The main problem is that the accumulated tissue saturation is shown on the
> dive on day one. If you compare the tissue graph on these two dives, the
> day two dive shows less saturation on the early part of the dive (around 5
> minutes) than the dive on the previous day. The visual glitch was just an
> extra oddity I noticed.

OK, now that I play with the planner, it really seems that this is working
properly. I first thought that your explanation was only about the visual
glitch on the during the first few seconds of the dive, but I suppose it is
about the whole issue I am seeing. It really seems weird with the same
dives copied to different days, but I don't think it should be as obvious
for people who are not manipulating the log files manually. Especially with
real dives this should not be that obvious...

miika