Bug in restoring ascrate [was Re: Store/restore pref values for drop_stone_mode, bottomsac, decosac]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 17 07:46:50 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 09:21:05AM +0200, Robert Helling wrote:

> > But I'm too tired and can't think straight. Clearly this messes up the
> > scaling and everything get's divided by 16.667 and therefore turns to 1.
> > But why and where (and why are these ints and why the hell can't I think
> > straight...)
> >
> > Anyway, someone with more brain power than I please look at this.
>
> Maybe more brain power (due to 5h of sleep) but unfortunately 0 spare time:
>
> I think, it’s the defaults that are wrong due to a unit confusion: We
> display the rates in meter or feet per minute but we store them in units
> of mm/sec. So the defaults should be in those units as well. Here is a
> patch.

So your patch changes the default used if no value is set.
Which means anyone who used a recent version of Subsurface to plan a dive
(and therefore has the wrong values in their settings) is still not
getting the correct values. I guess that's not a terrible problem, but I
wanted to point it out.

The other issue I still see is a truncation vs rounding problem.
If I set values, exit and restart I often get values that are "one lower",
i.e. if I set an ascent rate of 10m/min next time I get 9m/min...

I fixed that in a separate patch.